Practice makes perfect, and this is especially true in martial arts. Consistent training is essential to reach one’s desired level and objectives. However, this is easier said than done, as real life has a knack of getting in the way. School and work invariably take up most of your time, while every so often disruptions—such as a pandemic—occur. Training can take the backseat, which can truly set back progress.
A great workaround for this is to train at home, at your own time and convenience. It’s a good idea, therefore, to create an in-home martial arts studio to give yourself and your family the safe space necessary to train and get better at your craft. Let’s break down the process.
Lay the Groundwork
Building your very own at-home martial arts studio from the ground up can be as simple or complex as you choose. First, learn the nitty-gritty of such an undertaking, ranging from choosing the space you need to the all-important question of budget.
- Yes, you can turn any spare room or space in your home into a home gym or martial arts studio.
- Of course, you’ll need to take measures to convert a basement or garage into a functional space before anything else.
- This will arguably take up the bulk of the cost of your project; Lifehacker explains a full garage conversion could be done for as little as $500.
- Flooring costs should be considered, as it’s particularly crucial in the overall safety of your martial arts studio. You can install rubber flooring tiles for $1 per square foot.
Get the Gear
Your in-home martial arts studio only comes into its own with the gear and equipment that distinguish it from just any old space. Naturally, you’ll want to prioritize safety and affordability as you make your choices.
- You’ll need to furnish your martial arts studio with the right equipment to support your training.
- Workout equipment is just as important as exercise and martial arts training go hand in hand.
- Essential safety gear is a must, too, especially when doing sparring exercises.
- Don’t forget to stock up on safe and natural cleaning products to keep your home dojo fresh-smelling and free of harmful, virus-carrying germs.
Reap the Benefits
An in-home martial arts studio can offer benefits from day one. From physical fitness to emotional health and even financial perks, it’s a win, all the way around.
- The benefits of martial arts, especially in children, encompass both the physical and the mental, and being able to train consistently at home really harnesses them.
- You can also expect to drive up your home’s appraisal value with such a functional home improvement.
- Make the most out of this space by using instructional videos as a guide during training.
- A good roster of drills can also improve various martial arts skills, such as speed, strength, endurance, and more.
Indeed, an at-home martial arts studio may be exactly what you and your family need to stay fit and healthy—and elevate martial arts training while you’re at it. It’s truly an investment that will pay off in spades, and one loaded with perks. So what are you waiting for?